Alejandro Fernandez S.

Alejandro Fernandez S.

Job title:
- Full-time data-journalist at El Financiero weekly newspaper, edited by Grupo Nación.
- I was part of the team that created the first fact-checking project in Centra America, called "Rete al candidato" (Challenge the Candidate), focused on the 2013 - 2014 presidential campaign in Costa Rica, supported by El Financiero and the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Foundation. This initiative was selected as finalist at the Data Journalism Awards 2014 among 520 projects.
- Obtained a Master in Public Policy Analysis from the University of Chicago (MPP 2013) with the financial support of Grupo Nación (GN), the Inter American Press Association (SIP-IAPA), the Fundación Educativa Carlos M. Castañeda (FECMC) and the Organization of American States (OAS).
- Previously worked as Research Assistant on Education Policy at the Harris School Public Policy of the University of Chicago.
- In 2012, I was part of a large data-journalism project developed by the Investigation Unit of La Nación daily newspaper, which was finalist in the 2013 Data Journalism Awards. Our analysis dimensioned the exclusion of the higher education system: public school students (in general, from low-income households) have half the chances of admission in the UCR than those from private schools.
- Obtained a Law Degree (Juris-Doctor equivalent) in the Universidad de Costa Rica (2010).
- As a journalist, I pursued constitutional challenges which forced the Costa Rican Government to publish the list of tax debtors and the minimum wage law offenders.
- Under the counseling of the Lawyer Fernando Guier Esquivel, I participated on the updating process of the book “La Libertad de Prensa y la Ley” (“The Freedom of the Press and the Law”), published by the SIP-IAPA (2008).

Projects

Comments : 0